Note: This course is fully booked. Click here for the Portrait Photography Course
Every week, the focus is on a different aspect of street photography, where we use the work of Vivian Maier (New York, 1926) as an inspiration. Her work is currently exhibited in Foam under the name ‘Works in Color’. This exhibition follows the previous exhibition entitled Vivian Maier - Street Photographer, which showed her black and white photographic work in 2014 at Foam. Vivian Maier was an au pair who documented daily life in major American cities in her spare time. She did this without anyone in her direct environment ever seeing the result.
You will have a specific assignment as a starting point and get lots of tips along the way. Since you learn the most when you practice, most of the time is dedicated to taking photos and working on your series. In the end, all results will be discussed with the group to learn about your own way of photographing and to recognize it.
At the end of each lesson, the results of that afternoon will be discussed in detail. By discussing this with the other students, you will learn to look more critically, you discover your own style and you make faster progress on your own series.
Why take a street photography course at Foam?
• You will receive professional guidance from a museum teacher trained by Foam who is also a photographer;
• You work on a specific assignment every week;
• The work of inspiring professional photographers is taken as a starting point for the assignments;
• You are challenged to reflect on and improve your own photography skills;
• The assignments in the course are based on, not on technical knowledge;
• The course is for beginners and reasonably experienced (amateur) photographers. However, technical knowledge of your own camera is required.
Foam provides Olympus OM-D cameras for this workshop. Of course, you are free to use your own camera if preferred. In that case, remember to bring a fully charged battery, an empty SD card and a transfer cable. The use of your own materials is at your own risk.
Japke straatfotografie cursus 2017